Skip to main content

Seychelloise Artist - Frances Chang Him.


FRANCES CHANG-HIM

I would like the viewer to experience a sense of gratitude towards the amazing beauty of the environment that surrounds us

Frances’ subject of choice is tropical islands, beach and forest scenes, she creates painstakingly accurate renditions of lush locations around the Seychelles Islands.

My core concern is definitely the reflection of nature and the manner in which nature enriches humanity.

Seychelles Artist
FAIRYLAND 2004 Acrylic on paper 50x40cm
Frances is also concerned with the protection of the Seychellois Heritage and often portrays cultural elements in her paintings; you will often find women in traditional Creole dress and  figures performing activities unique to the Seychelles way of life.

I think we are losing a lot of our traditional activities because of our modern way of living. Thus I would like to keep them ‘alive’ through my paintings.

Seychelles Art
DAYDREAMING 100X80cm 2015 acrylic on canvas.
Aside from landscape and scenic vistas Frances also ‘zooms in’ to capture close-up environmental studies, examining each rock, petal and leaf and transposing them with great skill, as with 'Morning Dew'.

Seychelles Art
MORNING DEW 2015 acrylic on canvas  50 X 90cm

By getting up close to her subjects and discovering the minute details that are otherwise not normally noticed Frances hopes to present these details to the viewer in a way that deepens their appreciation of the subject and thus become more aware of the intrinsic beauty that can be found in all we have around us. 

Normally when commencing a composition I would start with the background, where I would paint a few washes and work my way to the foreground, adding more details. Because I am more-or-less a self-taught artist I don’t always stick to the traditional methods. It all depends on the subject I am working on and what kind of mood I am in at that moment. If I feel like tackling the more exciting bits first then I go for it and move onto the next section of the painting as though I were fixing a jigsaw puzzle.

Seychelles Art
TAKAMAKA SCENE in progress!


Seychelles Art
TAKAMAKA SCENE 2015 acrylic on canvas  100X80cm
I use only my own photographs to resource my paintings. Most of the time I already have an idea of how I would like it to look on the canvas.  However, if I have to combine several subjects from different photographs to produce a complete composition then I would do one or two sketches to know how to place them on the canvas. When I am satisfied I then make simple line drawings on the canvas and start painting in. I stop when I am satisfied with the whole piece and feel a sense of accomplishment.

Seychelles Art
PORT GLAUD RIVER 2016 acrylic on canvas 30X30cm
I haven’t really thought of a specific label for my work. Personally, I try to get as close as possible to the source so I am quite happy with just being described as a realist. I must say that many people have commented on how much my paintings look like real photographs so this always makes me feel like I have accomplished something.


Seychelles Art
TAKAMAKA AND ORLANDA acrylic on canvas 2016 60x50cm

One part of the creative process I enjoy the most is colour mixing. I just love obtaining the right colours I need to produce a rich and detailed piece of work. It is amazing how the right colours can make a painting come to life and look so real!

Seychelles Art
SERENITY 2016 acrylic on canvas

I would like viewers to feel a sense of peacefulness and happiness when they see my work. I have had comments such as “when I look at your painting I feel like I am walking through it and like I am actually there” or “your painting helps me to unwind after a very hectic day”, which is exactly the kind of effect I want viewers to experience.  

Frances regularly exhibits her work at the Eden Art Space Gallery on Eden Island, Mahe. 

See Frances painting live in the Eden Art Space Gallery HERE

Seychelles Art
Frances Chang Him 
For more information about Frances Chang Him artworks, commissions and prints contact us HERE

To discover more Art from the Seychelles - Check out our Facebook page HERE

Comments

  1. Frances Chang Him,
    I am extremely pleased to see your world class paintings of natural environment of Seychelles. I am Helmalie's father and now we are living in Australia. I can very well remember you as a small kid 35 years ago! Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vannswet Art Exhibition 'Elemental Forces'

Now Showing at Eden Art Space Gallery A big Welcome to the first time exhibiting Artists at the Eden Art Space Gallery - Jean-François Rossignol , Waren Andre , Jude De Comarmond and Barry Gertrude ! See their artworks along with the other exhibiting artists ( George Camille , Egbert Marday , Michelle Griffiths , Zsaklin Miklós , Alcide Libanotis, Frances Chang Him, Sophie Perolari, Ryan Chetty, Andrew Gee , Marc Luc, Jude Ally , Michael Adams , and more... in the Annual Vannswet Exhibition - NOW ON! Everyone is welcome to visit - its free to look around and we keep you safe and protected - we provide sanitizer and contact tracing  

The BIG DRAW 2020 - Seychelles

For the past 4 years   Arterial Network Seychelles   have participated in the international   Big Draw   event, to promote drawing under a new theme each year  - this year the theme is “A Climate of Change”. Who really knows how the changing climate and all that goes with it is affecting our young people, they hear all negativity about it on the news and feel its effects in their daily lives but do they really understand it? And how does all the uncertainty make them feel? Are they afraid?  The mission of our  Big Draw  project was to get the children of Seychelles thinking – to get them researching and educating themselves about this “Climate of Change” we are currently living in. The theme encompasses all the changes in every way that the world is currently experiencing and we decided to focus on environmental climate change- a topic which is particularly poignant for our small island nation.   We had Five schools participating this year, Students from SIAD , Plaisance Secondary, I

Zoe Chong Seng - Seychelloise Artist